Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Making A Difference on Valentine's Day

How was everyone's Valentine's Day? There are so many mixed feelings about the day and I guess depending on what stage in life you are in, people either love or despise the holiday. I have definitely been on both sides myself and feel for those each year that just wish Valentine’s Day was completely overlooked.

But every once in a while in life, we come across people that focus on all the right things about holidays. It’s so refreshing to see someone not focus on their own met/unmet needs and it reminds the rest of us what celebration truly should be about… which brings me to Jacob Shuart.

Tuesday morning after Valentine’s Day I was listening to the radio as I always do while getting ready for work. The DJ’s mentioned Oklahoma City (it was a national radio station) and of course my ears perked right up! The story that followed explained that an Oklahoma Christian University student had dressed up as Cupid on Valentine’s Day and went around the city singing original songs to raise money. He dressed up in red and white (even white tights!) with a heart shaped guitar, and for $20 serenaded lovers with a song he wrote. 

But what really caught my attention was what Jacob decided to do with the money. For the fifth year in a row, he’s donating the money to the charity called “Give A Goat” and also to friends that are going on missions trips. One of his friends is going to Japan to be a minister and another to Romania to teach English using the Bible through an organization called “Let’s Start Talking”. Last year he raised over $900! Jacob was even called by the Oklahoma governor's wife to sing for her husband on Valentine's Day last year!

The radio DJs actually called Jacob on the air yesterday morning, and it was so neat to hear his heart and the reasons he was singing and raising money on Valentine’s Day. I was so excited as I realized that this college student only goes to school a few miles from me, that I actually sent him an email yesterday and asked if I could write a little blog post about him and the organizations he was supporting. He emailed back, giving me permission and thought this would be a great way to get even more word out about the organizations he is donating to.

Here’s a pic of Jacob I got off one of the news articles around town. Isn’t it so encouraging to hear about ordinary people making a difference every day? It really made me think about the little things I could be using my talents and skills for! 


Next Valentine's Day, remember to call/email Jacob as he is making a difference for those around him!


Hope you had a blessed and love-felt Valentine's Day!


No comments:


May 2010- Haiti



Nicaragua- March 2009

Search This Blog