Monday, February 21, 2011

The Gates Foundation

About a year ago I decided to do some research on the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. I kept hearing their name come up whenever poverty and change were being discussed and I really wanted to learn more. I knew they were helping organizations all over the world but I didn’t know to what extent. Man, was I ever blown away! I started reading Mr. Gates’ annual letters and put their Foundation blog on my Google Reader. For over a year now, I’ve read blogs and articles that I’ve passed on to people interested and have also learned so much myself about what is going on all over the world. Can you imagine having those resources and being able to give and invest all over the world to help others? I’m so jealous J But at the same time, I stand back in awe seeing HOW the Foundation has gone about giving. They fund and support organizations all over the world that can reach out and accomplish what their 4 hands could never do alone. Instead of starting their own organization that is focused on one area, with one mission, they are able to spread out their resources to many organizations and in turn, change and impact thousands more lives. Babies in Africa are getting vaccinated, kids in the US are being educated and diseases are being wiped out in South America. It just amazes me how one Foundation is able to empower hundreds of people to make a difference. It’s so motivating!
If you haven’t ever checked out their websites, spend a little time doing so. I love that Mr. Gates has a “what I’m learning” type of website as well, which outlines the different directions they are taking to donate and change the world. The man does his homework of course, and it’s fascinating to see what they are working on, what goes through his mind, and to see all of his travels. This citation is from one of Mr. Gates’ blog posts, which shows their history and heart for Africa:  
In 1993 Melinda and I took our first trip to Africa. I was working with Microsoft at the time and I was convinced that the power of technology could change the world.
But during our visit, I saw that many of the world's life-saving, life-enhancing discoveries were not available in Africa. That was deeply upsetting to me. It didn't fit my belief that innovation is for everyone.
I became convinced that if science and technology were better applied to the challenges of Africa, the tremendous potential of the continent would be unleashed and people could be healthier and fulfill their promise.
Since our first visit many African countries have made striking advances, driven by wise government investments in health and education and agriculture. Incomes have risen. Poverty has fallen. Trade and investment have doubled. Childhood deaths are down. Africa is on the rise.
When a country has the skill and self-confidence to take action against its biggest problems, it makes outsiders eager to be a part of it. That is why Melinda and I are so optimistic about our work on the continent. We see the promise.
 He finishes the article with this paragraph:
Africa's future is in the hands of its people and its leaders. Melinda and I want to work with you to advance your progress. We want to help fund the innovations that can help every person live a life of health and opportunity. For us, this is the most meaningful work we can do. We’re honored that you let us be a part of it.

I love the way he ends this post. The realization that this "is the most meaningful work" that they can be doing. While he made his money creating computers and programs, he is now using his resources to reach out to the poor and find innovations that will change the world for the better. What a great realization to come to.

If I had 5 minutes to interview Mr. Gates, I think I'd ask him about this realization... how his heart came to care for those less fortunate, after he made such a difference in the business world. How he came to realize that caring for these people is the most meaningful work he could be doing. Was there a day when he wanted his life and his resources to make a difference? To count for more? I wonder...

But until I have those 5 minutes to ask him that, I'm going to continue to learn and check out what the Foundation is accomplishing. If nothing else, it encourages me that there are people out there that also want to make a difference... people that are worth billions of dollars and could instead, be spending that money to live for themselves instead of others. People that are researching, writing, and funding programs all over the world to change lives. That's what this blog is for... to highlight those kind of people and to encourage the rest of us, no matter how little our resources, to be doing the same.


1 comment:

Jenn with Munchkin Land Designs said...

They are so amazing! I'm always in awe every time I read an article about the Gates. True philanthropists at heart.


May 2010- Haiti



Nicaragua- March 2009

Search This Blog