Friday, June 3, 2011

A Prayer for Mavis

I received the saddest news the other day which has left my mind to wander and my heart to ache for a little girl on the other side of the world that I only had the privilege of knowing about for a few short months.
I got a letter from Compassion, telling me that MAVIS has moved from her home in Accra and can’t be a part of the Compassion ministry any longer that they offer and I support. L While I first received the letter from Compassion letting me know of her move, they also invited me to call them to receive more details - which I immediately did. Turns out Mavis’s family was having some difficulty with their current living arrangements (I assume financially) and as a result are moving to live with Mavis’s Aunt in a town named Koforidua, Ghana. I Google Mapped the trip and it looks like it’s an hour and a half north and inland of Accra, Ghana where they lived previously on the coast.
The move left me with so many feelings and my heart immediately went out to this family. Moving is never easy and the little experience I’ve had with it myself has been in a wealthy nation where I knew all my needs were going to be met. I moved knowing that it was what I wanted to do or moved on my own terms- not because I needed it out of survival. I’ve started over in new schools and had to meet new people, leaving close friends behind, and it just is never easy. Yet, I also know that God is in control and He has plans for little Mavis, as He does for me. That He’ll take care of her and provide for her needs even when I can no longer give and provide for her on a monthly basis. He is bigger than all of it and has her best interests in mind.
As if this didn’t tug at my heart enough, I received the following in the mail just yesterday from Mavis’s social worker. The prayer just about did me in.



So now I’m left with one job to do: to pray for little Mavis and her family on their new adventure. If I know anything about moving, it brings many new opportunities and could be the best thing for her in the long run.
Compassion has also sent me information on supporting a new child. I’ll keep you posted. And if you’re interested in starting a relationship and supporting a child, please visit Compassion’s website. A little girl overseas may have you to thank as a result!

No comments:


May 2010- Haiti



Nicaragua- March 2009

Search This Blog